Final Papercraft Lightbox: House by Sea

Taking note of the mistakes I notices in my draft, and taking the knowledge, I planned out my second and final draft of the papercraft lightbox project.  I planned out what would make the structure more stable, and taking note of the details I wanted to add on this time. I brainstormed what would make it a better structure, and what would make it easier for me to construct. 



Remaking the model on Rhino, not only did I adjust the length of some of the pieces, but decided to attach some pieces that would make the constructing process easier. 


The only time I had to detach some of the pieces was for printing out the pieces. One of the flaws of my last draft was the small size that made it hard to construct the piece. Although I ended up with many pages I had to buy and print out, I knew it would make the building process better, and the end product's details would be more visible. 


Although the printing process took me over 2 days, as it was many pieces of paper and a lot of details, once I was finished with it, I was extremely excited. (Along with the fact that I got to this step without having to cut using my hands- ending up with cramps) A problem I did run into was the fact that there wasn't enough of the colored paper I wanted to use, so I carefully planned out above in rhino, which papers I wanted it to be the colored cardstock paper, and which ones I decided to be the Mayfair paper. 


Some of the things I had noticed while constructing this, was that the white Mayfair paper was a bit sturdier than the colored paper. It was something I had to mess around and figure out in order to have good stability, but eventually realized the way I had printed out the structure already helped with the issue. The Mayfair paper seemed to be overall pretty great for this project, as it was the sturdiness I wanted in order for the box to stand well, but also have the flexibility I needed to tinker with the box. 


Finally constructing the piece, I was quite satisfied with my end product. 


I think that this project is my favorite so far this semester in all of my classes, as paper models like these were something I've always wanted to do. My biggest problem is just the fact I may not have access to the laser cutter machine later in life, but in the end I do know I can use an exacto-knife as well. If I have another art project idea that I wish to make something similar to this, I would love to work with it again. It was a genuinely enjoyable project from start to finish. 


Bonus: the big hands moving :)






















Comments

Popular Posts